Despite its modest size, Luxembourg has many attractions, monuments and museums worth visiting. Of course, is not possible to write about all of them in one article, we will tell only about the main ones.
Due to the natural landscape, the city is located on several levels and, therefore, it consists of two parts: an upper and lower town. Casemates connect city districts by the tunnels under the ground, which are connected into a single system. The upper part is the town center, with its numerous lookout points. A lower town is nestled in a valley between the rivers Alzyut and Petrus.
The City Hall (address: Place Guillaume, 42 - Area Guillaume II, 42) was built in years from 1830 to 1838 and constructed in neoclassical style. First the monastery was based there, but with the arrival of Napoleon, they decided to use a building as the City Hall. Unfortunately, this time the country was at war and the Town Hall was officially opened only six years later by Willem II, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Currently, there is a tourist office here.
Palace of the Grand Dukes (address: Rue du marche-aux-Herbes, 15) was being built and expanded for two hundred years. Construction was started in 1572 and the palace was built in the Renaissance style with multiple reliefs. Now here is the official residence of the Dukes for receiving various delegations. Since 1995, the palace has opened its doors to visitors.
Corniche (address: Chemin de la Corniche) is called the "balcony of Europe". This observation deck is hidden in the citadel, which overlooks the lower city, and Casemates du Bock.
Casemates du Bock (Montee de Clausen, 10) is an extensive plexus of underground tunnels, laid artificially in the rocks. The first Bock Casemates were laid in 1644, and eventually extended to a depth of forty meters and stretched to 23 kilometers. Their main task was safety and protection of the city when facing the enemy. In the 19th century some of them were destroyed, but even the remaining 17 kilometers is more than enough for a romantic stroll. In 1933, they were open for public visits. People used to hide there at dark times of Second World War and since 1994 they have been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Hours: March 1 - October 31 from 10.00 to 17.00